Authors: Peter P. Swire, CIPP/US, DeBrae Kennedy-Mayo, CIPP/US
An Essential Text for Privacy Practitioners with Insights from Leading Experts in the Field of U.S. Privacy
Privacy practitioners seeking guidance on a constantly evolving U.S. privacy landscape can look to this third edition of U.S. Private-Sector Privacy: Law and Practice for Information Privacy Professionals as their indispensable guidepost.
Government and privacy law specialists, Peter Swire and DeBrae Kennedy-Mayo provide crucial analysis of U.S. laws, regulations and the current technological and societal developments that influence them. Together, they have written a comprehensive resource encompassing the essentials of privacy practice in the medical, financial, educational, telecommunications and marketing sectors, as well as enforcement, data breach and incident management, online activities, and privacy issues in investigations and litigation.
Reorganized, expanded and updated to reflect current issues in privacy law, this edition addresses key topics including:
- Limits on private-sector collection and data use
- Common principles and approaches to information privacy and data protection
- Critical components of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Key elements of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- New information on federal and state best practices involving emerging technologies and privacy expectations
U.S. Private-Sector Privacy is also the principal text for the IAPP’s Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US®) credential, which is part of the CIPP certification program—the most recognized, sought-after certification in information privacy and data protection.
Official textbook for the CIPP/US® program
All IAPP textbooks can be found in the IAPP Store.