Log in now for access to this member-only content.
The process of de-identification, by which information is stripped of identifiers, mitigates privacy risks to individuals and allows secondary use of the data for studies, analysis and other endeavors. In 2012, both the U.S. HHS Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) published guidance on it. However, the effectiveness of de-identification is frequently challenged.
This topic page provides insight and research to help you get a better understanding of the challenges and benefits of de-identification in all its forms.
IAPP members get access to tons of great benefits:
- News. You’re busy. We make it easy to stay on top of the headlines.
- Networking. It’s all about who you know. Targeted online and in-person channels give you access to the people you want to meet.
- Resources. Our Resource Center is a one-stop-shop for practical tools and information to help you tackle your biggest challenges.
- Discounts. Get member-only rates on education products and programs, including study materials for our globally recognized certification programs and annual events.
- Freebies. You’ll get access to free web conferences, networking chapter meetings, research and so much more.