Crowdsourcing - With an Exceptional Crowd
The IAPP Privacy List is an email list that connects you to thousands of members with the click of a button. Send your questions or comments via your personal email or your Topicbox portal and receive feedback straight to your inbox.
Before you get started, please read the user guidelines for what you are allowed to post, and to review best practices.
The Privacy List is a members only benefit. Not a member? Join here.
Want to join The Privacy List?
Be sure to use your IAPP email address when requesting access.
The IAPP uses Topicbox to capture information submitted through this web form. See the IAPP Privacy Notice.
How it works: Every subscriber sees every message. When a post is approved you will receive the post via email with an access link to your Topicbox portal to view the entire message. From the Topicbox portal, you can respond to the post and create a thread. Please note in this new layout, you will only be able to respond and engage to messages via the Topicbox portal.
When you want to create a new topic thread, send an email to email@example.com with the topic of your thread as the subject and the question or comment in the body of the email. You can also start a new thread from your Topicbox portal by clicking on “The Privacy List” group, then “New Topic” and type your subject in “What is the topic?” Include your email address or other contact information if you are looking for advice or individual responses
The Privacy List is moderated, and all messages are reviewed before being approved. The IAPP retains the right to ask for modification or block any messages that do not meet our guidelines, such as posts that include:
- Advertising, marketing services, surveys, business solicitations or commercial postings.
- Defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or other illegal materials.
- Images and logos (including signature lines).
- Links leading back to personal websites, profiles, or published content. Please respond off the list with personal resources.
- Perfunctory language (“Thanks”, “Me too”, “Include me”, etc.). Make sure each message is substantive. Reply directly to the sender when appropriate and when sending a message, encourage direct responses.
- Petitions, jokes, slander, chain letters, alerts, calls-to-action, resume posting, job announcements and personal ventures.
- Plans to meet up at events, create study groups, etc. Please use our LinkedIn group to make these connections: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1243587/.
Unsubscribe from the Privacy List
If you choose to remove yourself from The Privacy List, log into your Topicbox account, go to the Groups page on your profile and select which group(s) to leave.
Modify Your Subscription Settings
Log into your Topicbox account and click on the “Privacy and Security” screen. You can access directly by clicking https://iapp.topicbox.com/security.
After unlocking the screen, you can set up a password (used in place of the login code) and manage email addresses associated with the account.
Adding and Removing Email Addresses
Enter the email address you would like to use in The Privacy List (Example: firstname.lastname@example.org) and click "Add". To remove your current address and replace it with your new email address, simply:
- Click on your new address (email@example.com), then click "Make primary"
- Click on your old address, then click "Remove"
Privacy List Archives
Don’t miss a thing! That great conversation on data ownership? Advice on Article 17 of the EU Directive? When you subscribe, you can access our complete archive of Privacy List posts.
To review the archives, open the Privacy List topics page (where all posts are visible) and use the search messages bar in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
IAPP Privacy List Policies
Now for the fine print:
- All content that users contribute via e-mail to the IAPP Privacy List becomes the property of the IAPP and may be published on the IAPP website or other locations at the IAPP’s discretion. If you do not wish to share certain information with the public, do not include it in your posting.
- We will never sell or exchange users’ names or e-mail addresses with any other party or organization without the explicit permission of the user.
- We strongly support Internet privacy and oppose the unsolicited sending of messages (SPAM). We reserve the right to interpret whether activities constitute spamming or other unauthorized violations. If we determine that spamming or other activities that violate our published guidelines are occurring, we reserve the right to terminate list subscriptions without advance notice.
- We require that our members abide by all copyright, obscenity and other laws governing content of publications in the United States of America.
- We reserve the right to block access to or from any IP address, mail server, domain or e-mail address without warning or recourse.
- The IAPP does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any posted information or content contained, distributed through, linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this list. Any reliance upon materials or information from the list shall be done at the subscriber’s risk.
The Privacy List, including subscription requests, is moderated by IAPP staff between 09:00 to 22:00 CET/3:00am to 4:00pm EST and can take up to 72 hours to process.