The Sr Corporate Counsel for Privacy is responsible for overseeing all legal, compliance, and regulatory affairs related to privacy matters for Cox Enterprises. They provide legal advice, guidance, and support concerning privacy laws and regulations, data protection, privacy policies and procedures, and the company’s privacy practices. They also collaborate with business leaders to ensure compliance with privacy laws and regulations, assess privacy risks, and develop strategies to mitigate those risks.
- Serves as primary counsel for legal advice and guidance on domestic and international privacy laws and regulations for CEI with a primary focus on employee privacy and cybersecurity.
- Support enterprise-wide alignment of privacy best practices, as appropriate.
- Develop and implement privacy policies and procedures to reflect changes in laws, regulations, and business practices.
- Maintain and mature a comprehensive CEI privacy compliance program and initiatives to ensure adherence to laws, regulations, and policy.
- Advise and assist technology, and security teams in the conducting of investigations into suspected privacy incidents, including applicability of privacy/data breach laws and requirements to notify users and regulators.
- Support members of the legal, business, and policy teams on legal matters related to privacy and security data breach response.
- Conduct privacy impact assessments and audits, ensuring potential risks are identified and mitigated.
- Ensure timely and practical resolution of sensitive and complex privacy issues Conduct privacy legal reviews for and advise on new and evolving products and services, new market penetration or other material changes.
- Review and negotiate privacy-related contracts and agreements.
- Draft and coordinate delivery of regulatory and user notifications in response to privacy incidents.
- Interpret privacy laws and regulations and changes for CEI and advise accordingly.
- Provide training and education on privacy matters to CEI employees.
- Respond to privacy-related inquiries and complaints.
- Collaborate with CEI business leaders to ensure compliance with privacy laws and regulations.
- Work with cross-functional teams to address privacy-related issues.
Education, Experience, & Other Qualifications:
- J.D. degree required, license to practice law.
- 10 years of experience in privacy or a related field (MS+ 8 years, Ph.D. + 5).
- 5 years experience in a leadership role.
- Proven experience in advising on privacy and data protection matters in a corporate setting.
- Experience providing counsel throughout a privacy data incident, including during the investigation, analysis, and notification, if required by applicable law, phases.
- Strong working knowledge of global privacy laws and regulations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work with and manage outside counsel.
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Relevant certification in privacy or data protection (example: Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP)).
- Experience in a corporate legal department.
- In-depth knowledge of global privacy regulations, including GDPR, CCPA, and other relevant frameworks.
- Proficiency in legal research tools and databases.
- Familiarity with privacy management software and solutions.
- Knowledge of document management systems.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Application Submission Information:
Please apply HERE