Are You Interested in Speaking at an IAPP KnowledgeNet Chapter Meeting?
Great! This is what you need to know.
All offers are shared with the local chapter chairs. If your offer is accepted, your name will be listed on our website, in meeting invitations and correspondence. Are you IAPP Certified? You will earn 3 CPE credits per hour of speaking. Please use the online volunteer form and submit your topic proposal. The below tips are suggestions and items to be considered for speaking if your offer is accepted.
- You may present by yourself or be asked to speak as part of a panel.
- You will work with the local chapter chairs and other speakers if applicable, about the presentation and topics covered.
- Meetings may be held virtually. You will work with local volunteers to ensure a smooth online presentation.
- Create handouts and tools for your audience (e.g., case studies, reference materials, checklists, compliance guides, etc.)
- Prepare practical, take-away information that your audience can easily implement in their organizations.
- Use Power Point judiciously. Avoid text-heavy slides. Place the important information at the top. Otherwise, it may not be as visible to audience in the back of the room.
- Never forget a conclusion slide (three to five points) leaving a strong impression of your presentation.
Delivery and Presentation
- Know your audience. Ask questions at the beginning of your session to gauge how advanced your audience is. Provide detail on a topic, not just a general overview.
- Give an exciting delivery—be creative. Believe in your message.
- Make your session interactive. Engage your audience by generating a conversation or posing a question back to them.
- Break out into smaller focus groups to discuss particular applications and solutions.
- No sales pitches. The best way to sell yourself is by offering good content and engaging the audience.
- Make sure to allow time for Q&A, either in the middle or at the end. Repeat questions aloud so all audience members can hear.
- Make your contact information available.