Wells Fargo's Legal Department is seeking a Senior Counsel for a newly created position on the Privacy Legal team. The successful candidate will work closely with Wells Fargo's Global Privacy Office on a variety of state, federal and global privacy issues.
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you!
The Legal Department supports the vision, values and goals of Wells Fargo by providing expert, creative, cost-effective, and timely advice and services to all Wells Fargo businesses and support functions. We operate in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity, and ethical leadership to find creative solutions that best serve our customers, prudently manage risks, and contribute to Wells Fargo’s enterprise success.
Wells Fargo Legal Department
The Wells Fargo Legal Department strives to offer services in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity, and ethical leadership.
The Legal Department partners with clients to find solutions that best serve customers and contribute to the success of Wells Fargo. It seeks to create a stimulating, diverse, and collegial work environment in which team members collaborate effectively among themselves and with other groups throughout the company.
The Enterprise Functions Division of the Wells Fargo Legal Department provides legal advice and support to companies and businesses throughout the Wells Fargo & Company global enterprise. Our scope of responsibility includes regulatory compliance and operational risk management in data privacy, information security, cybersecurity, security incident response, technology, eCommerce (particularly online banking and payments), mobile commerce (particularly mobile banking and payments), social media, records management, and third-party risk management.
This Senior Counsel position is in the Wells Fargo Legal Department’s Enterprise Functions Division. The successful candidate will work closely with Wells Fargo's Global Privacy Office on a variety of state, federal and global privacy issues. The Global Privacy Office resides within Enterprise Compliance, which is part of the company's Regulatory and Compliance Risk Management organization. This position also will provide privacy legal support to other attorneys in the Legal Department who represent and counsel key internal business units across Wells Fargo & Company, such as: Community Banking; Consumer Lending; Payments, Virtual Solutions, and Innovation; Wealth and Investment Management; and Wholesale Banking. The attorney will have seasoned experience, a proven record of success and accomplishments, and the ability to provide immediate, decisive, and effective counsel.
The successful candidate will be skilled and experienced to do the following:
- Have in-depth knowledge of, and experience analyzing and applying, state, federal, and global laws and corporate policies related to privacy, especially financial privacy, including state laws and regulations related to telemarketing and email marketing
- Have in-depth knowledge and experience analyzing and applying laws, regulations and corporate policies related to:
- U.S. privacy laws, including GLBA and state privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act;
- global privacy laws, including GDPR;
- the FCRA and its application to financial institutions, including requirements added to the FCRA by the FACT Act; and
- FCC and FTC consumer privacy rules, including TCPA and UDAAP
- Assess risk in telemarketing, email marketing, affiliate sharing, secondary use of consumer reports, credit scores, fraud scores, and other model-based scores, and adverse action
- Be proficient in supporting business groups in marketing campaigns, prescreened offers, affiliate sharing arrangements, cross-selling, joint marketing relationships, and advertising that use or collect personal consumer information
- Have strong contract drafting skills, including significant experience:
- structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts involving U.S. and global (e.g., GDPR) privacy matters;
- creating and maintaining contract templates and playbooks to mitigate legal and business risk, and to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of legal contract support; and
- building strong relationships with clients to ensure the contracting process generates positive client experiences and goodwill
- Have experience analyzing laws, contract terms and conditions, and corporate policies and standards, related to financial privacy, consumer credit reporting, telemarketing, and email marketing
- Be proficient with online and mobile privacy laws, including consumer notice and disclosure requirements
- Be proficient at drafting and analyzing customer terms and conditions, contracts with third parties, and corporate policies and standards, related to financial privacy and the FCRA
- Have experience researching, analyzing, and advising on global privacy laws
- Be familiar with laws related to e-commerce, mobile commerce, and information security
- Analyze legislation and proposed regulations, and guide businesses in operational and practical impact and implications; be a prolific communicator and advocate in legislative developments and regulatory rulemaking; represent Wells Fargo where appropriate and beneficial in industry trade groups
- Have solid experience educating, advising, and counseling senior levels of management
- Accustomed to working with global operations and risk management teams in a multinational corporate environment across diverse time zones
- Be proficient with advising risk managers and compliance managers in the above areas and supporting them in the development of practical processes that control risk and ensure compliance
- Be innovative and effective in providing stimulating, effective, and motivational education and training to managers and non-managers at all levels of the organization
- Be effective and efficient in gathering information in a fast-paced business environment, understanding business needs and goals, and working with intensity toward effective, practical, and timely legal solutions
This position may be located in: Charlotte, NC; Minneapolis, MN; New York, NY; San Francisco, CA; Des Moines, IA; or St. Louis, MO. Other locations will not be considered.
- 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Active State Bar membership
- Ability to analyze legal issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of research, counsel, and guidance on complex legal questions
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Effective organizational, multitasking, and prioritizing skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and deadlines
Other Desired Qualifications
- 5+ years of relevant privacy legal experience working in financial services
- Confident and shows initiative, yet willing to take direction from other attorneys
- Understanding of reputation risk
- Customer-oriented manner of interacting with coworkers
- Knowledge of legal, technical and operational issues affecting an enterprise records management program
- Knowledge and experience with consumer and commercial banking laws
Application Submission Information:
Please apply online at https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/careers/ and apply to Job ID 5548139 and 5548123