Sheppard Mullin, an AmLaw 50 law firm, is looking for a junior associate to join its privacy and cyber security counseling team in its Chicago office.
Detailed Position Description:
Sheppard Mullin’s global, interdisciplinary Privacy & Cybersecurity Team includes some of the most respected lawyers in the privacy space, including a lawyer who literally “wrote the book” on data breach, award-winning privacy class action litigation practitioners, and leading compliance experts. Sheppard Mullin's Privacy Team accolades include being named Law360’s Cybersecurity & Privacy Practice Group of the Year, and highly ranked by Legal 500 USA (Cyber Law), Legal 500 Europe (EU Data Protection) and one of only 25 firms ranked in the inaugural ATL Top Law Firm Privacy Practice Index.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest in privacy and cybersecurity compliance and a strong background in project management. The role will involve counseling and compliance projects, such as privacy diligence and assessments, preparing privacy policies, responding to breaches, and assisting clients with compliance questions relating to a wide variety of privacy and cybersecurity laws. Clients are in a variety of fields, from retail, manufacturing, food and beverage, to health care and financial services. Candidates with a strong interest in business development and client relations are highly encouraged to apply.
- 1-2 years of data privacy and cyber-security counseling and compliance experience.
- The ability to manage your time effectively, work with other team members and clients, and take ownership of projects, is essential.
- Candidates should have strong academic credentials, comparable law firm experience, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in project management, including in non-legal employment settings.
- While not required, preferred candidates should have experience counseling clients on privacy compliance and responding to data security incidents.
- Past experience with either corporate contracts and drafting or litigation, as well as exposure to corporate deal work is also beneficial, but not necessary.
- IAPP Certification (CIPP/US or CIPM) are beneficial but not required.
- Candidates must be barred to practice law in the state of Illinois and local to the Chicago area. We are not considering any remote candidates for this role nor are we considering candidates located in other cities where Sheppard Mullin has offices.
Application Submission Information:
Please direct all inquiries regarding this opportunity to Thomas Meena at TMeena@sheppardmullin.com.
Cover letter, resume, and law school transcript are required to apply. Direct applies only. No search agencies/third-party recruiters/headhunters.