Join our team – Data Ethicist
The TELUS Data & Trust Office provides world-class, innovative privacy solutions to TELUS. We partner with teams across the organization to advance our corporate priorities, support innovation and ultimately deliver on our promise to safeguard our customers' privacy and to earn and maintain their trust. We see compliance with the law as our starting point and we passionately pursue opportunities to demonstrate respect for our customers and their data through transparent, robust, and ethical data practices.
Our team takes pride in earning a reputation for being innovative thought-leaders, strategic business partners and subject-matter experts in privacy and data governance.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
As the Data Ethicist, reporting to the Director of Data Ethics & Governance, you will provide thought-leadership and work with a cross-functional group focused on enabling a framework for responsible use of data, including health data. You will guide the design and development of data research, data-driven products and services in accordance with ethical principles. You will also be an integral member of a team tasked with solving some of our organization's most complex challenges while building a thriving community of practice around data ethics and data governance.
Your commitment to data ethics will support our business needs as well as our position on social capitalism as we seek opportunities to innovate with data, including health data, for social good and specifically to address some of society’s most pressing problems.
You will be a champion for data ethics across the organization and you will advocate for TELUS’ Trust Model as the fundamental driver for all of our decisions around data, recognizing how critical customer and team member trust is to TELUS’ mission. Your contributions to the data ethics program will be an integral part of our commitment to leverage data in a respectful manner and our thought-leadership on anticipating challenges at the intersection of privacy, ethics, technology and data.
- Provide ethical analysis and questioning for the implications of data use and technology evolution that is fair and transparent, considering the experience of a broad range of stakeholders to identify potential unintended consequences and impacts
- Guide business units on data ethics issues they may face and provide understanding of the opportunities, the risks and how benefits can be achieved when navigating the complex landscape and end-to-end lifecycle of products powered by big data and AI
- Work with TELUS engineers, researchers, designers and business stakeholders to embed ethical decision-making and risk mitigation and monitoring processes into emerging technology, ensuring that design and production is fit for purpose and beneficial
- Establish the data ethics framework to ensure there is understanding, consideration and foresight into the issues raised by previously unimaginable uses of data and the development of emerging technologies like AI
- Define standards that can be adopted to embed and monitor accountability, ethical use and transparency
- Enhance understanding of data ethics and its importance across TELUS, providing education and influencing the data user community and network of Data Stewards on responsible innovation
- Maintain expert knowledge of data ethics toolkits, best practices and contribute to industry working groups on standards for data ethics and responsible innovation
- Define and oversee stakeholder engagement methods to incorporate participatory human-centred design and the consultation of diverse voices across the innovation lifecycle to enhance public understanding and improve the social impacts of technology
- Learn continuously, innovate every day and seek opportunities to develop and demonstrate thought-leadership with external stakeholders
You're the missing piece of the puzzle
- University degree or equivalent experience in applied ethics, philosophy, ethical machine learning, human-computer interaction, social and human sciences, or relevant fields
- Valued for your knowledge and expertise in data ethics and ethical risk assessments of emerging technology
- Experienced in establishing ethical decision-making and monitoring processes
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in conducting analysis around societal expectations, including identifying stakeholder values and defining techniques for engagement and input
- Highly adaptable and comfortable working in a nascent field in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Able to identify and proactively consider opportunities outside of conventional thinking, providing multiple solutions to resolve problems and address gaps
- Effective in written communication and verbally communicating progress on initiatives in leadership forums
- Trusted as a collaborative partner with excellent interpersonal skills who will act with integrity and exemplify ethical practices to fulfill TELUS’ commitments to its customers
- Post-secondary degree is a requirement
- Bilingualism in English & French, verbal and/or written
- Experience working in a large, matrixed organization
- Experienced in implementing multidisciplinary data ethics practices and collaborating in a cross-functional environment working with technology, policy, engineering, product and research teams
A bit about us
Our business is connecting Canadians. Our social impact is using our world-leading technology to create meaningful change, give back to help communities thrive, and help those who need it most. When you join our team, you’re helping us make the future friendly. We’re committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability — your unique contributions and talents will be valued and respected here.
TELUS is proud to foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity. We are committed to fair employment practices and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities, as required, during the recruitment process.
Application Submission Information
or email Jesslyn Dymond at Jesslyn.Dymond@telus.com.