Basic Job Responsibilities
- Legal support for Company Ethics & Compliance program for and legal compliance generally
- Legal support for two privacy attorneys in Regulatory Affairs privacy
- Other regulatory issues as assigned.
Ethics & Compliance and general legal compliance responsibilities: Overseeing and enhancing Mattel’s Ethics & Compliance program; working with HR to manage and provide company-wide compliance training; supporting investigations of and responses to internal compliance issues; updating and enhancing policies and procedures; overseeing and maintaining ethics case management system, and other activities directed at achieving legal and regulatory compliance. More specifically:
- Compliance with Mattel’s Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest, and all applicable laws, and with specific requirements such as employment, anti-corruption, competition and intellectual property laws
- Maintaining and updating Mattel Code of Conduct, Company Policies, Employee Handbook, other documentary guidance and communications to employees
- Managing training program schedules, developing and selecting training modules, delivering training, working with other Mattel lawyers on training outside the U.S.
- Responding to specific compliance issues raised by internal and external sources, including ethics line reports, and supporting related internal investigations
- Working with HR, internal audit function, other Law Department sections, affected business units.
Privacy and data security responsibilities: Provide support to Mattel’s two privacy attorneys and Privacy Group; advising affected business units day-to-day; monitoring of compliance business processes; assist in drafting and reviewing of privacy/data security policies, standards, and guidelines; assist with privacy/data security training; assist Privacy Group in conducting Privacy Impact Assessments; assist in conducting due diligence of third party vendors, and assist in review, and drafting of privacy/data security related contract provisions with outside parties. More specifically:
- Data of children, credit card users, consumers, employees
- Data privacy requirements for websites, social media, apps, connected products (Internet of Things), e-commerce, customer relationship management (CRM)
- Data privacy requirements under COPPA, FTC Act, CAN-SPAM, HIPAA, CARU, related legal and industry standards
- Working closely with IT, Information Security, various business units that develop and provide digital products and services.
Other responsibilities include
- Interacting directly with internal clients and outside business partners
- Overseeing work of paralegals, specifically a paralegal dedicated to the topics described above
- Coordinating with attorneys in other Law Department sections and at other Mattel domestic and international locations
- Interacting with external persons including business partners and government agencies
- Helping formulate company positions on proposed legislation and regulations
- Addressing other consumer protection and regulatory topics under Federal and State law and industry standards, as assigned.
A minimum of 5 years as an attorney with pertinent experience at a law firm or a company law department providing sophisticated legal advice, including experience with corporate ethics and compliance programs and investigations and related documentation.
Experience with data privacy and security regulations is preferred.
Experience with litigation, agency proceedings and intellectual property issues a plus.
Experience overseeing paralegal work is preferred.
- Ability to identify and analyze issues and evaluate their broader implications for the business; interact with clients at all levels; provide timely, practical legal advice and solutions; and communicate effectively in person and in writing.
- Leadership and organization skills, including program management, planning, prioritization and time management.
- Ability to work as part of the Law Department and Company team, working cooperatively with colleagues, maintaining a professional demeanor, in writing and in person, with management, other internal clients, support staff, outside counsel and other outside parties.
- Ability and willingness to develop expertise in other regulatory topics to meet needs of a dynamic business and Law Department.
Undergraduate degree from a nationally recognized university.
J.D. from a top national law school.
Admission to a State bar, California state bar preferred.
Application Submission Information:
Requisition number 171141