EDC is seeking an Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Advisor or Senior ATIP Advisor. This role provides expertise and support to the Privacy and Access to Information Program within EDC’s Compliance & Ethics Team.
EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. We take on risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world.
When you join our team, you’ll be helping Canadian companies bring their vision, passion and innovation to the global marketplace. Your knowledge and expertise will support more than 10,000 Canadian companies and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide. You’ll work shoulder-to-shoulder with the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success. And you’ll know that you’re making a difference every day—for companies, for Canada and for the people you work with.
Year after year, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer.
Team & Job Overview
EDC is seeking an Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Advisor or Senior ATIP Advisor. This role provides expertise and support to the Privacy and Access to Information Program within EDC’s Compliance & Ethics Team. The individual promotes consistency in practices and procedures in the administration of the Access to Information Act (ATIA) and the Privacy Act (PA). Reporting to the Manager, Privacy and Access to Information, this role coordinates and leads, requests received under the ATIA and PA, as well as providing support and expertise in response to internal Privacy Service Requests and Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs).
Working in a fast-paced environment, he/she manages deadlines and deliverables on simultaneous projects and time sensitive assignments. He/she writes at a professional level and prepares accurate and concise project documentation and reports for a senior audience.
- Conducts extensive research, benchmarking and analysis of a variety of topics;
- Designs, develops, implements and delivers training and awareness activities for employees;
- Maintains the organization's ongoing relationships with regulatory commissions;
- Participates in the maintenance and enhancement of a mechanism to monitor applicable court and administrative decisions, as well as other developments relevant to the program;
- Assists and manages privacy and other related risks through development of documentation and processes such as PIAs;
- Keeps abreast of legal and regulatory changes in freedom of information and privacy laws and regulations and assesses the impact on the business; and
- Leads complex projects and assignments and establishes cross-functional, collaborative relationships with business and technology partners.
- Process requests received under the ATIA and the PA from start to finish including:
- Assist with relevancy and scope of ATIP requests.
- Conduct review of records related to formal requests under the ATIA, PA, and consultations received from other government institutions to determine if such records may be disclosed.
- Identify pertinent exemptions/exclusions in relevant records, in accordance with the ATIA and the PA.
- Provide detailed rationale to the Manager, Privacy and Access to Information for the release and protection of information under the ATIA and the PA.
- Liaise with internal EDC business teams to determine whether records may be disclosed based on various sensitivities.
- Assist with all administrative aspects of requests including records retrieval, data input, indexing, scanning, and preparation of correspondence as required.
- Brief management regarding processing of requests as required.
- Assist in the resolution of complaints.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner with requesters, other government departments and investigators as required.
- Assist with Policy updates and internal advisory service requests as required;
- Exercise discretion within applicable authorities to develop solutions that supports business issues, ensuring ATI, privacy and other related compliance risks are adequately identified and addressed;
- Negotiates and influences the adoption of compliant solutions with diplomacy, tact and persuasion;
- Participates in the development and maintenance of a mechanism to monitor applicable court and administrative decisions, as well as other developments relevant to the Program.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Law, a degree in a similar discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years (ATIP Advisor) or 7 years (Senior ATIP Advisor) of experience in an ATIP or privacy compliance-related analytical role
- Advanced knowledge of ATIA and PA, regulations and compliance requirements, as they apply to Crown Corporations and private sector
- Experience coaching/mentoring individuals as well as a strong track record leading projects
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English
- Bilingual (English & French)
- Professional Privacy certification (CIPT, CIPP/C or equivalent)
- Private sector experience
- Legal knowledge relevant to area and ability to interpret laws and legal advice
- ATIP Advisor level: $62,800 - $94,200 + performance-based incentive
- Senior ATIP Advisor level: $87,300 - $131,000 + performance-based incentive
*Please note that we will consider candidates at the ATIP Advisor level and Senior ATIP Advisor level depending on the incumbent’s qualifications*.
- Please be advised that this position is based at our Head Office in Ottawa. Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.