The IAPP understands the importance of impartiality and will act impartially toward all certification applicants, candidate and certificants. We enforce our commitment to impartiality by continually monitoring processes to assure impartiality and by managing any apparent or perceived conflicts of interest.
All information posted on our website or made available through publicity materials in any medium are verified for both accuracy and currency.
The steps of the application process for IAPP CIPP (CIPP/A, CIPP/C, CIPP/E, or CIPP/US), CIPM and CIPT are as follows:
- Register to take the appropriate examination via either computer-based testing or paper-pencil testing through the IAPP website. Candidates may also register by contacting the IAPP via phone at +1 603.427.9200.
- Candidates who registered for computer-based testing, will schedule their examination appointment via the link provided in their confirmation email. Candidates must schedule their exam within 6 months of registering, but may schedule their exam beyond the 6-month window.
- Take the exam(s) at your confirmed location and date/time. Immediately before the exam is administered candidates will be required to sign a candidate application statement and confidentiality agreement.
- Computer-based testing results are generally provided immediately upon completion of the exam. For candidates taking paper-pencil exams, the IAPP will send a score report within 45 business days indicating whether you have passed the examination and achieved certification.
Each of these steps is explained in greater detail in the IAPP Privacy Certification Candidate Handbook.
Application and Fees
A completed application will require the following:
- Registration for an examination
- Completed application statement and confidentiality agreements
Scheduling an Exam
The IAPP offers two distinct testing modes—event-based paper-pencil testing and test center computer-based testing. Exam content is identical regardless of mode. Candidates may register for both paper-pencil testing and computer-based testing via the IAPP website. For computer-based testing, the candidate will be provided a website link from which they can schedule their exam with one of our partner testing centers. Once your computer-based exam is scheduled, you will receive an exam reservation confirmation email that includes exam day details, including location, time and any building security procedures and a personal exam activation code. Keep this reservation confirmation email; you will need to present it at the testing center. Your exam cannot be activated without this code.
The current exam fee is $550 USD.
Exam Reschedule/Cancellation within 72 hours Fee $100
Notification of any change in certification fees will be made at least three months prior to the implementation of the fees.
IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/A, CIPP/C, CIPP/E, or CIPP/US), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), and Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT) computer-based exams are administered at locations throughout the world.
If there is a change in the scheme of one of our certifications that requires additional assessment, we will notify affected certificants and provide information on our website about what actions are necessary to verify that certificants comply with any change requirements.