Privacy Leaders Join Together to Prepare and Discuss the Pivotal Changes and Challenges Ahead for Europe
WHAT: The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is assembling leading voices in data protection from across the continent for two days of focused discussion and education at the IAPP Europe Data Protection Congress. In the midst of change, the Data Protection Congress is where you can find esteemed experts who will be discussing such topics as the finalisation of the GDPR, how to put new policy to practice and international data flows.
When: 2-3, December 2015
Where: SQUARE - Brussels Meeting Centre,Glass Entrance, Mont des Arts, B-1000 Brussels, Belgium
WHO: Keynote speakers and panelists include Max Schrems, Founder, Europe v Facebook; Isabelle Falque Pierrotin, Chairwoman, CNIL and Article 29 Working Party; Giovanni Buttarelli, European Data Protection Supervisor; David J. Becker, Director, Election Initiatives, The Pew Charitable Trusts; Jennifer Baker, EU Correspondent, Reporting on Technology, Politics and Legislation for The Register and viEUws.eu; Paul Nemitz, Director for Fundamental Rights and Union Citizenship; and Peter Swire
Huang Professor of Law and Ethics, Georgia Tech Scheller College of Business.
Please see a highlighted list of panels below. For a complete list of sessions click here.
- Safe Harbor Postmortem: Schrems Reflects: Just two months after rocking the global data protection boat with the annulment of Safe Harbor, Max Schrems takes the stage to reflect and project what comes next.
- Essential Equivalence: An analysis of the effects on international trade and the atmosphere of distrust bred by the Snowden leaks and renewed by the Schrems decision. Speakers include:
- Herwig C. H. Hofmann, Professor of European and Transnational Public Law , University of Luxembourg
- Peter Hustinx, Former European Data Protection Supervisor
- Cameron F. Kerry, Former General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce , Senior Counsel, Sidley Austin LLP
- Privacy Platform: The Right to Encryption: At this edition of the European Parliament's Privacy Platform, the desirability of the use of encryption technology will be discussed. Where some call for a ban on encryption, others call for an absolute right to encrypt communications. Speakers include:
- Iain Mitchell, Chair, Surveillance Working Group , CCBE
- Sophie in't Veld, MEP and Chair , European Parliament's Privacy Platform
- Wil van Gemert, Deputy Director for Operations , EUROPOL
- Demonstrating Compliance with EU Data Protection Regulation: This panel will discuss how organisations are preparing for the GDPR by 1) implementing accountability into their privacy management programmes, and 2) collecting and managing documentation that will serve as evidence for demonstrating compliance with the GDPR on-demand.
- A World Without Safe Harbor: What Now? In the absence of a valid Safe Harbor, what are the thousands of Safe Harborites and their countless business partners to do.
(o) +1 603-427-9200 (c) +1 603-674-8168
About the IAPP
The International Association of Privacy Professionals is the world’s largest association of privacy professionals with more than 23,000 members across 83 countries. The IAPP is a not-for-profit association that helps to define and support the privacy profession globally. More information about the IAPP is available at www.iapp.org.