Carlos Vela-Treviño, CIPM
Carlos Vela Treviño is a senior associate in the Information Technology and Communications Practice Group in Baker & McKenzie's Mexico City office and head of the Privacy and Data Protection practice in Mexico. He has vast experience in corporate, commercial and transactional work, including M&A, corporate restructuring, corporate governance and private equity transactions. He has been recognized by Legal 500 and other international publications as one of the country's leading IT/C and media lawyers. Mr. Vela is qualified as a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. Prior to joining the Firm, he led the IT/C legal practice of a Big 4 consultancy firm.
Mr. Vela is one of Mexico's most active privacy, data protection and information security lawyers, having implemented privacy management compliance programs for over 100 companies, including several Fortune 500 companies. He advises in corporate and commercial matters where privacy is an issue, including e-discovery, FCPA investigations, e-commerce, direct marketing, privacy in the workplace, litigation and M2M communications.
Mr. Vela is proficient in all core domains of IT/C law: telecom regulation/licensing; technology contracts and procurement; design, implementation and monetization of e-commerce portals; marketing, consumer protection, and regulatory matters and copyright within the digital arena. He represents some of the most innovative IT and consumer internet industry players. Due to his strong multidisciplinary consultancy background, he is able to help clients to identify and address corporate, commercial, compliance, tax, regulatory, strategy, expansion and policy issues that arise in different phases of IT/C projects. In the telecom arena, he advises MVNO operators and telecom resellers.,
Representative clients, cases or matters:
- Designed and implemented privacy compliance programs for several leading pharmaceutical companies.
- Regularly advises high tech, health and media companies in connection with privacy impact assestments and site operator liability issues, before a major technology product or service is released.
- Advised a major Spanish technology fund in the development of their seed funding program for tech startups.
- Counseled some of the major traditional retailers and price club warehouses in launching their e-commerce stores in Mexico.
- Represented one of the major content retailers in connection with potential changes to be introduced to e-books regulation.
- Assisted major e-marketplace and classifieds company on how to structure its operations in Mexico.
- Represented the first Mexican MVNO telecom reseller for starting operations in Mexico.
- Advised car manufactures on licensing, regulatory, commercial, consumer protection and privacy issues regarding infotainment and other software parametrization services.
- Panelist, "Building Alliance with Mexico,". panel sponsored by MexicoIT and ProMexico to promote Mexico as a prominent destination for IT outsourcing and nearshoring projects (New York City, 2014)
- Regular contributor on IT/C related matters, Forbes.com
- Co-author, the first Intellectual Property and Competition book printed in Mexico, 2010
- Co-author, Mexico chapter, Baker & McKenzie Global Privacy Handbook, IAPP, 2015
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (co-chair)
- Mexican Internet Association (AMIPCI)
Bachelor of Law (2002)
- Bachelor of Law Degree, Universidad Panamericana (with honors)
- Master of Laws in Information and Communication Technology Law, LL.M) (2006); Norwegian Research Center for Computers and Law, University of Oslo; full scholarship granted by the Research Council of Norway and the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Spanish (mother lenguage), English (fluent), Norwegian (basic)
Contributions by Carlos Vela-Treviño
Pros and Cons of Having Your Privacy Program Mexican Safe Harbor Certified
Speaker at Global Privacy Summit 2017
Se modifican las disposiciones para la estrategia digital nacional para unificar las reglas que deben observar los organismos del sector público en materia de transparencia y datos personales
The Privacy Advisor