Michael Schmidl is a honorary professor at the University of Augsburg and specialist lawyer for Information Technology law ("Fachanwalt f++r IT-Recht"). He advises in all areas of contentious and non-contentious Information Technology law, including Internet, Computer/Software, Data Privacy and Media law. Mr. Schmidl also has a general commercial law background and has profound experience in the drafting and negotiation of outsourcing contracts and in carrying out Compliance projects.
Mr. Schmidl was admitted to practice in Germany in 2000. Having started studying German law in 1992 he obtained the French Master of Law (Ma+«tre en Droit) at the University of Bordeaux in 1995 within the International Students Exchange Programme Erasmus. He then continued studying German law, obtained a doctorate law degree in 1997 (Dr. iur. - JSD equivalent) at the University of Bayreuth and passed his First State Exam (JD-equivalent) in 1998 at the University of Munich. He clerked for the Landgericht I in Munich (Court of Appeals) (1998-99), Second State Exam 1999, from 1996-1999 he worked as a scientific scholar at the University of Munich in the department for Privacy Law. In 2004 he obtained the Master of Laws for European Economic Law (LL.M. Eur.) at the University of Munich. Since the beginning of 2007 Mr. Schmidl has been a Partner of Baker & McKenzie in Munich.
Additionally, Michael is fluent in English, German & French languages, with main areas of focus in; Information Technology, E-commerce, Privacy, Intellectual Property, Unfair Competition, Compliance and General Contract Law. He regularly gives presentations for external providers of seminars as well as in-house seminars.
Representative clients, cases or matters
- Several Outsourcing Projects in the banking sector
- First Data: Compliance Audits for all sectors of the company
- TeleCash: Advice on several projects re. payment systems
- BGI Deutschland AG: Draft and negotiate license and provider agreements, carrying out a privacy audit
Publications, presentations and articles
- IT-Recht from A GÇô Z, Beck Verlag, 2. Auflage 2014
- Software Contract Law in AnwaltKommentar, Deutscher AnwaltVerlag, 2. Band GÇô Schuldrecht, 2. Auflage 2011;
- International Data Protection Law and other contributions, Luchterhand-Verlag 2011, in: Fachanwaltshandbuch IT-Recht
- Several publications on information technology law, data privacy, IT-security and electronic signatures
Contributions by Michael Schmidl
Behind Enemy Lines: How Plaintiffs Are Weaponizing Data Privacy Laws
Speaker at IAPP Global Privacy Summit 2020
One GDPR and Many National Implementation Regimes—How to Find Your Way Through
Speaker at IAPP Europe Data Protection Intensive 2018
Navigating Transatlantic Data Restrictions on the Way to See the Wizard
Speaker at IAPP Europe Data Protection Congress 2015