Become a Westin Fellow
The IAPP Westin Fellowship Program was created in 2013 to encourage and enable research and scholarship in the field of privacy.
Applicants from all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Previous research, coursework or experience in privacy law, information technology, sociology, marketing or business may be useful. Applicants must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents or be authorized to work in the U.S.
The one-year fellowship generally begins and ends in August.
- A strong academic record and completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year program are minimum requirements; a graduate degree is preferred.
- Fellows are required to be physically located at the IAPP’s office in New Hampshire during the term of their fellowship. They will receive a work space, computer and standard office equipment.
- Successful applicants will have a strong academic background in a relevant field(s), proven communication skills and a passionate interest in privacy issues. They must be interested in pursuing a long-term career path in the field of privacy.
Completed applications are now being accepted. Applications will be reviewed as received by the Vice President of Research & Education and the Research Director. The IAPP will perform initial screenings, and conduct interviews with selected candidates. We hope to extend offers in early November.
If you are selected for a fellowship, approximately half of your time will be devoted to selected research topics, the other half focusing on substantive IAPP projects. Fellows are present in the IAPP office working closely with the Research and Publication teams. Occasional travel to IAPP events will be part of the fellowship experience. A white paper, research report, academic article or similar publishable deliverable may be completed as part of the fellowship. All work product is expected to be of very high quality, appropriate for publication through professional or academic channels, as well as useful to practicing privacy professionals.
Compensation is $45,000 per year (depending on credentials) plus a generous employee benefits package.
For more information, please contact Rita Heimes, Research Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed as received by the Vice President of Research & Education and the Research Director. The IAPP will perform initial screenings, conduct interviews with selected candidates, and extend offers as soon as feasible after October 18 (the original deadline), but applications will still be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, please submit your Resume or CV, along with a cover letter/personal statement of interest using the following link: Westin Research Fellow 2020/2021.
Once you have received confirmation of your resume and personal statement submission, please email the following supporting documentation to Diane McDonough, Leadership Coordinator, at WestinFellowship@iapp.org:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Recent publication or example of work
Please note, submissions will not be reviewed until all supporting documentation has been received.