Sr. Privacy and Data Counsel
At Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (“SIE”) we create the best in interactive gaming and entertainment experiences:
- Original content, from games such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Farpoint, and the Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Killzone, God of War, MLB: The Show, Infamous, and Little Big Planet series, to TV and films, such as Powers and Ratchet and Clank: The Movie™.
- PlayStation™Vue, our OTT TV service, streaming live TV, movies, and sports on a variety of devices without a cable or satellite TV subscription.
- PlayStation®4 - The Best Place to Play™.
- The PlayStation®Network, linking your interactive gaming and entertainment experiences to your friends and the gaming community.
If you would love to work at the forefront of interactive gaming, entertainment and technology, you might be a great fit as senior privacy and data counsel with SIE, if also by some fortuitous quirk:
- You are intellectually fascinated by the legal and policy issues emerging from information science and technological developments.
- You don’t mind getting your hands dirty (and hopefully enjoy) figuring out how data is a part of everything these days.
- You consider implementation as important as ideation, and measure your own success by how well your work product effectively mitigates risk.
We are currently looking for a senior attorney with (7-10 years) extensive and demonstrable knowledge, experience or ability in the following:
- Legal Subject Matter: Privacy and Information Security law. (Records Retention, Data Deletion or Destruction, Wiretapping/Monitoring, or Data Transfer law would also be useful).
- Legal Geographic: Experience with US law is a requirement. Experience with Central and South American data law is a significant plus. Any non-US data law experience is also a plus.
- Other: Knowledge of social privacy issues (friends, family, identity), the characteristics of data/information and its lifecycle; and, data governance.
We are particularly interested in those that have experience with applying the above knowledge to product, feature, or function reviews, and expect this role will focus on PlayStation®Network privacy (incl. its social network, music, movie, game streaming, and other elements). Regardless of the subject area, though, your work will likely include:
- Review business activities that collect, use, disclose, or dispose of data for compliance with law, policy, and best practices. This will involve reviewing data processing in:
- New products and their features or functions.
- Corporate functions (e.g. HR, Finance, Legal, etc.)
- Vendor and third-party relationships
- Draft consumer notices, intra-company agreements and contract terms, and negotiate data-related contract provisions.
- Develop standardized policies, tools and processes, and implement them (in conjunction with InfoSec, DataGov, etc.) into operations to mitigate data processing legal risks and reduce the volume of one-off reviews.
- Develop and maintain expertise in data law.
- Develop training materials.
In exchange, you will have the opportunity: to work on and become an expert in some of the most interesting issues in privacy and data law; to implement practical solutions across a broad suite of leading interactive entertainment and technology products and services, to contribute to development of PlayStation data policies; and, to play a leadership role in privacy efforts at PlayStation. All the while, you’ll be able to maintain a healthy work-life balance and take advantage of all that the Bay Area has to offer.
Some additional useful or required characteristics:
- Strong analytical ability and excellent judgement.
- Non-English language skills, particularly Spanish, Japanese, and Portuguese desirable.
- Practical, self-motivated and resilient.
- Able to build relationships and consensus amongst cross-functional and cross-level groups, and bring initiatives to conclusion.
- Membership in state bar required.
Application Submission Information: