The Senior Manager, EU Public Policy will lead the public policy team’s advocacy efforts for Amazon’s data privacy and data security at the EU level. The Senior Manager will also coordinate Amazon’s engagement in relevant trade associations and coalitions and assist with outreach to relevant local authorities in-country.
The safeguarding of customer information is a core Amazon value. The Senior Manager responsible for Data Protection will work with the EU public policy, legal, privacy and information security teams across Amazon to establish the public policy and advocacy agenda for the aforementioned areas, and coordinate with the relevant business units to ensure alignment with business priorities and goals. Working under the guidance in particular of legal, the Senior Manager will be responsible for effectively educating legislators, key data privacy and security officials [within the European Commission, European Parliament and Member States], and their staff about Amazon thought leadership and excellence in the field of data protection and our efforts to protect customer trust. The Senior Manager will monitor and report relevant legislative and regulatory activity, develop positioning and mitigation/engagement strategies, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
As appropriate, the Senior Manager will work with others on the European Public Policy team to facilitate high-level meetings for executives and business leaders with key policymakers, association executives, and other relevant stakeholders.
As a member of the EU public policy team, the Senior Manager will cultivate relationships with the EU Commission and the Parliament. In coordination with in-country Amazon leads he/she will also asses and help organize outreach to relevant national authorities. The Senior Manager will work with the team to determine, maintain, and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations and political organizations.
The position is based in Brussels, spending at least a week a month in travels around the EU region.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with—and a keen working understanding of—the European Union’s policymaking process and Member State application and enforcement in relevant sectors and related outreach activities.
- Policy experience in equivalent position within industry (preferably in the digital technologies sector), within a public administration, in corporate government relations, and/or in a trade association and/or NGO.
- Experience managing policy issues related to data protection, privacy, network security and cyber-security.
- Fluent in English and another working language of the EU, particularly French or German.
- Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. You can create factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging, and you can persuasively deliver it to relevant audiences. You can interject your point intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way.
- High personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity. People in your industry regard you with the strongest professional reputation.
- A self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results. When the resources are not immediately at-hand, you enjoy reaching out to a wide array of functional groups across an organization to get the information you need.
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills. You can intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations.
- Critical thinking. You can process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
- A collaborative work attitude, used to work in multi-disciplined teams including legal and technical
- A solid understanding of (or a desire to learn) about innovative technologies and new ways of delighting customers.
- An ability and desire to travel.
- Juris Doctor or Master’s Degree, experience/background/certification in the field of data protection is a plus.
- Fluent in multiple EU working languages is a plus.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies' world-wide recruitment database, and to circulate that information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.
Application Submission Information:
Please send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org