Do you want to shape the future? At Workday, we are leading the way into the cloud for enterprises through our industry-leading financial management, human capital management, and analytics applications. At Workday, trust underpins our relationships with our customers, and in support of that we have a world-leading privacy program to protect individuals’ personal data.
We are expanding our privacy legal team and are looking for a talented lawyer to join us at the forefront of providing innovative and effective privacy advice to our business, product, and sales teams. We are looking for a team member in any of our U.S. offices but ideally someone who would be located in Washington, DC or Pleasanton, CA.
The principal responsibilities of this position are:
- Negotiate data processing agreements with customers and vendors. As a provider of cloud-based services, Workday operates as a data processor with respect to its customers. You will have lead responsibility for negotiating compliant data processing agreements with customers that fit our one-to-many model, while ensuring a great customer experience. In addition, you will provide support to our inbound team as they negotiate privacy agreements with our vendors.
- Provide privacy advice in connection with the development of new products and services. We are constantly expanding our product offerings, with a focus on building analytics applications. You will work with our product legal team to provide privacy compliance advice on products, including with respect to how new technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning, and blockchain interact with privacy laws.
- Advise on activities related to Workday’s privacy incident response program. You will also manage outside counsel advice for domestic and global privacy and security projects.
- Provide legal advice in connection with Workday’s privacy compliance program. Customer trust is essential to what we do. We have built a world-leading privacy compliance program, supported by numerous certifications and audits. As our privacy compliance team grows this program, you will provide advice on legal requirements and serve as a trusted counselor to the team.
- J.D. from accredited school and 6+ years of privacy experience in a law firm, in-house or other legal role with a track record of providing practical business-friendly advice.
- Expert knowledge of data protection and information security laws, rules and regulations in the U.S. and globally, including CCPA, and the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
- Experience negotiating data processing agreements, particularly in connection with cloud computing services.
- Experience providing privacy advice in connection with the development of new products and services, particularly in the technology/cloud computing spaces.
- Exposure to cutting edge privacy issues posed by machine learning, artificial intelligence, and blockchain.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, from email advice to detailed memoranda to negotiations with counterparties to advocacy in client meetings.
- Familiarity with technology, with a focus on cloud computing, SaaS, cloud computing, enterprise software or social network environment.
- Detail-orientation and ability to balance competing priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Excellent judgment and sense of humor.
- Ability to deliver in a demanding and entrepreneurial environment in a timely manner.
Application Submission Information:
Email resume and cover letter to Kimberly La Rosa at firstname.lastname@example.org