Ancestry is seeking a full-time Senior Counsel to join our dynamic and evolving Privacy/Product legal team supporting our global business. This is a permanent position and could be based in Lehi, Utah or San Francisco.
This role will focus on providing legal advice to Ancestry’s product, engineering, advertising, and security teams to identify and mitigate legal risk. You will need the ability to apply complex and evolving legal frameworks with a strong focus on privacy and consumer protection to new and innovative products and services. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to quickly ramp, learn new areas of law, and independently manage multiple projects in a demanding, fast-paced environment. You must also be a skilled collaborator, as the role will include seeking appropriate input from other legal specialists. Ideal candidates will have in-house product or privacy experience.
What you will do:
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Advise product and engineering teams throughout the product development lifecycle, from initial idea to launch, on a broad range of compliance issues including cutting edge and first impression legal issues.
- Work closely with marketing and advertising technology teams to understand the business goals and create processes, and policies in compliance with applicable privacy laws.
- Research, analyze, advise, train, and provide legal direction to internal stakeholders on legal, regulatory, and compliance issues, including U.S. privacy, data security, and consumer protection laws.
- Coordinate effectively with varied stakeholders.
- Manage external law firms cost-effectively.
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school, with an active license to practice law in California or Utah (as applicable), and at least 5 years of experience.
- IAPP certification preferred.
- In-house experience advising business, product, or engineering teams on legal, regulatory, and compliance issues relating to the development of Internet and mobile products and services.
- Knowledge of, and experience advising on U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws, regulations, and standards, including CCPA, GDPR, preferably in the technology context.
- Experience with an online, consumer-focused, global company.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with limited supervision.
- Keen to understand, learn about and integrate with the business and to develop the role in line with business requirements.
- Ability to develop and manage relationships at key levels in the business.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels both written and verbally.
- Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Slack, etc.
- Pragmatic, credible, confident, and proactive contributor.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry because of the referral or through other means.
Application Submission Information: