The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Product will play a key role on Okta’s quickly growing legal team, in supporting our Product, Engineering, and Sales organizations by ensuring that Okta’s products and services incorporate privacy-by-design principles, comply with applicable laws, and protect the security of our customers’ data. The position will be based in Okta’s San Francisco office and will report to the Associate General Counsel, Commercial & Data Protection Officer.
- Support our Sales and Professional Services teams by working with customers, prospective customers, and partners on privacy and product- related questions regarding Okta’s services
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Engineering and Product teams regarding privacy-by-design principles and assist the company in identifying patentable inventions
- Own and maintain Okta’s legal function for open source and third-party software compliance, by identifying disclosures and flow-down terms required by component providers, and provide guidance regarding open source usage
- Partner with the Commercial Legal team in customer negotiations, including supporting the drafting and negotiation of privacy-related agreements and addenda
- Be a resident expert and thought leader on, and ensure Okta’s compliance with, all applicable global privacy and data protection laws, including the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act, General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR), NIS Directive, and E-privacy Regulation
- Partner with members of the legal, security, technology, marketing and HR teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with laws, regulations and customer contacts
- Iterate on and maintain internal privacy policies and procedures, including Okta’s internal GDPR privacy program
- Develop training materials and provide training to employees on privacy-related obligations
- Work with Okta’s other legal and public policy stakeholders to help influence privacy and data protection laws
- Law degree from a highly-regarded school and California bar admission
- Familiarity and comfort with the culture of a fast-paced enterprise software company
- 7+ years of experience (combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred), including at least 5 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, drafting and negotiation skills
- Strong experience in leading and closing complex contract negotiations involving cutting-edge cloud computing issues
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Team-oriented and collaborative – a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity regarding legal and regulatory aspects of data privacy and security
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Experience in and/or knowledge of software-as-a-service and internet industries and technical concepts
Certified Information Privacy Professional (US and/or EU) is a plus.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Submission Information: