The Senior Counsel role is responsible for providing a range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers. The Senior Counsel position handles complex legal matters within a defined area of expertise requiring a solid degree of knowledge in a particular field. The Sr. Counsel role may manage a limited number of support staff.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide legal support and counseling on privacy and data security issues. Routinely interact with management, business areas (including line of business privacy officers), in-house and outside counsel.
- Provide legal advice in connection with cybersecurity incidents and incident preparedness.
- Provide legal advice in connection with laws regulating the use and protection of personal information, including CCPA, NY DFS, GLBA, HIPAA, GDPR, and other state privacy and data security laws and regulations.
- Advise on the development, application and enforcement of information security policies.
- Collaborate with contract attorneys, procurement, and cybersecurity team in assessing service providers and negotiating contractual provisions with service providers regarding safeguarding of personal information and notification requirements.
- Assist in develop privacy standards based on new and emerging privacy legislation.
- Represent enterprise privacy function throughout the business to ensure that the company is maintaining a consistent approach regarding applicable cybersecurity and privacy laws.
- Represent the company on industry committees and trade groups regarding privacy and cybersecurity matters, including emerging laws and regulations.
- Help drive the continued development and implementation of training and awareness campaigns regarding privacy and cybersecurity matters.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school. Minimum of 7 years of prior legal experience. Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- 5-8 years of experience in privacy and cybersecurity law.
- Significant working knowledge of state, federal and international privacy laws, such as GDPR, CCPA, NY DFS, GLBA, HIPAA and other state laws.
- Experience interacting with state regulators regarding cybersecurity incidents or other matters involving privacy and data security.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Excellent legal analytical skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Counsel Link, and iManage.
Weekend work hours: Occasionally (0 - 33%) Overnight work hours: Occasionally (0 - 33%) Holiday work hours (Federal and religious): Occasionally (0 - 33%) Travel: Frequently 34 - 66% (For Corporate Legal roles, travel requirement is occasional 0-33%)
Operates standard office equipment - Frequently Sitting (Can stand at will) - Frequently Standing - Occasionally Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key - Frequently
Application Submission Information:
To apply directly to the position please click on the link below:
And or visit our website at www.Travelers.com/careers Job#22701BR