Working as a Paralegal working in-house with a global Insurance Brokerage & Employee Benefits Consulting firm. You will support our Global Privacy business and work with primarily with our two most senior attorneys in the U.S. for this space.
Detailed Position Description:
Willis Towers Watson’s Office of the General Counsel (OGC) comprises global teams of talented professionals who provide high-quality legal, compliance and risk and market security services to all areas of the Willis Towers Watson business. OGC teams exert the highest level of professional integrity to support the company ambition to become ‘the world’s leading advisory, broking and solutions firm’, while managing our risks and protecting our assets. OGC’s role is to protect Willis Towers Watson and its shareholders by providing timely, sound advice – through legal, compliance and risk and market security services.
An opportunity has arisen for a paralegal to work in-house with the in-house OGC privacy team based in the New York area. This role will report to the Chief Legal, Cyber Security Incident Response Counsel for data security incidents and the Deputy Global Privacy Officer for all other matters. Former insurance sector experience is not a pre-requisite but would be helpful, as would existing knowledge of U.S. privacy laws. The successful candidate will help support the lawyers in this busy legal team, which includes some work of an international nature.
- Demonstrate natural ease and effectiveness when dealing and liaising with clients and colleagues at all levels.
- Liaising closely with other paralegals within the team to maintain levels of support when others are absent.
- Liaising and working with other members of the Legal team within OGC, as and when required.
- Assist with privacy and data security incident response matters, including responses to state attorneys general and federal enforcement agencies regarding data security incidents and privacy matters.
- Assist with consequences and effects of data security incidents and claims based on alleged violations of privacy law.
- Legal research and analysis of legal and compliance requirements arising from U.S. privacy laws and regulations related to data protection, privacy and cyber security.
- Support the company’s privacy compliance program, including compliance with state and federal laws governing privacy and data security, privacy policies and notices, online privacy issues, insurance department matters and industry standards.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of privacy-related portions of the WTW intranet.
- Organizing and maintaining documents in a paper and/or electronic filing system.
- Schedule meetings and conference calls, and prepare relevant materials including meeting minutes, PowerPoint presentations.
- Fax, copy, mail and complete other general administrative duties as assigned.
- Gathering and analyzing contracts, statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, documents and other data.
- Handle special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Possess a certificate of completion from an ABA-approved paralegal certification program of education and training, an associate degree in paralegal studies or equivalent experience.
- IAPP CIPP/US certification strongly preferred but not necessary.
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Have research and writing skills and a willingness to further develop same.
- Be able to effectively multi-task, manage time sensitive tasks and have exceptional organizational skills in a fast-paced environment, including accelerating pace as appropriate to urgency as directed.
- Take initiative, be highly organized and detail-oriented, and possess strong interpersonal and time-management skills and also be capable of working within a team.
- Operate with integrity and communicate respectfully in language, writing, and actions.
- Be highly organized with an ability to work and prioritise systematically and methodically, monitoring and managing multiple tasks to successfully meet conflicting deadlines.
- Possess effective oral and written communication skills.
- Be proactive and happy to take responsibility for your work.
- Be flexible, adaptable and a good team player with excellent people skills.
- Be confident in dealing with people at all levels of seniority.
- Be comfortable following Willis Towers Watson’s systems and processes.
- Demonstrate sound judgement to be able to recognise when it is appropriate to push back on commercial issues, and escalate legal issues.
Application Submission Information:
Interested candidates can use this link to apply: https://careers.willistowerswatson.com/job/10297819/paralegal-global-privacy-new-york-ny/.