The Manager, Privacy Office works with multidisciplinary teams to provide senior technical guidance and general oversight to corporate programs and activities that protect privacy, in compliance with established legislation, Government regulations, and the guidance of Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner.
Detailed Position Description:
$108,615 – $147,641 per annum
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Our Chief Privacy Officer is seeking a Manager, Privacy Office to join Metrolinx’s Legal team and provide strategic leadership and oversight on the development, management and monitoring of Metrolinx’s privacy program. As a senior privacy expert, the Manager, Privacy Office works closely with multidisciplinary teams including legal counsel and information technology, internal audit, and risk professionals, to provide senior technical guidance and general oversight to corporate programs and activities that protect privacy in compliance with established legislation, Government regulations, and the guidance and advice of Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner.
- Identifies, implements, manages, monitors, assesses, and seeks opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of Metrolinx’s privacy program policies, procedures, controls, and other associated deliverables
- Acts as the primary point of contact and technical expert for staff on privacy program inquiries and requirements as new or existing programs are developed or revised, serving in a leadership role for privacy compliance and best practices within the organization on the interpretation and application of privacy laws, government and internal policies and industry standards and practices
- Provides strategic guidance and advice on requirements for privacy compliance, conducts privacy impact assessments, and ensures recommendations are implemented effectively and consistently
- On behalf of the Chief Privacy Officer, plans and delivers regular privacy steering committee meetings and maintains a network of key privacy contacts throughout the organization
- Identifies contentious issues and risks, monitors changes to best practices and legal requirements, briefs senior management and the Board, and implements revisions accordingly
- Develops and delivers privacy awareness training and oversees corporate education and training, in support of a privacy awareness culture
- Investigates and responds to alleged violations of privacy regulations, policies, and procedures, and recommends corrective actions; develops and manages systems for tracking and responding to such violations
- Represents Metrolinx on privacy matters brought before Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC)
- Promotes consistent interpretation and application of legislative requirements in compliance with relevant sections of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), Ontario IPC guidance and decisions, and industry best practices
- Provides senior technical guidance to others in performing their day-to-day activities, without direct supervisory responsibility, including reviewing and advising on data/technology/system related projects/plans to ensure alignment between technology/information, management/security and privacy practices
Location: 97 Front St. West, Toronto
- Completion of a degree in Law, Business Administration, Information Management or a related field or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum six (6) years’ experience providing technical advice and guidance relating to information access and privacy
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply legislation and government regulations guiding privacy protection and access to information (e.g. Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), Freedom of Information Act (FOI), the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL))
- Analytical and problem solving skills to assess privacy compliance for new programs or services, and to coordinate and carry out privacy impact assessments, investigations, and responses to privacy breach incidents
- Training experience to develop and deliver privacy awareness training
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with the ability to present complex facts, information and explanations to various audiences including, matters brought before Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner and senior management
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships, and work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders to build consensus or influence decisions
- Exposure to analyzing and interpreting legal and/or policy documentation, and knowledge of data management systems and related privacy considerations considered an asset
- Certified Information Privacy Professional for Canada (CIPP/C) and/or Certified Privacy Manager (CIPM) or equivalent considered an asset
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online, through the Current Opportunities page (https://metrolinx.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=GEN003X&lang=en) on our website, no later than August 19, 2020.
Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. A Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Issued: August 5, 2020
Application Submission Information:
Posting period: August 5, 2020 to August 19, 2020