Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. (“Company”) has exclusively retained Major, Lindsey & Africa to conduct a search for a Director, Business & Legal Affairs – Data Privacy and Security (“Director”) to be located in Knoxville, TN or New York City. Interested candidates please submit your resume to ScrippsBLA2017@mlaglobal.com.
Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin and military membership or veteran status or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the Company will make reasonable accommodations during the application and/or hiring process for qualified job applicants with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the Company. If you need to request a reasonable accommodation, please advise MLA so that it can convey this to Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc.
Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. will not sponsor applicants for immigrant or non-immigrant work visas. The successful candidate will be required to submit evidence of identity and employment authorization.
Overview: The Director, Business & Legal Affairs will provide legal advice and support to the Company globally on all aspects of data privacy and security risk and compliance.
Company: Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. is a global media company and the Leader in Lifestyle Media. Its power-house brands – HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel and Great American Country – stimulate personal creativity, spark ingenuity and capture the joy of living richer and fuller lives. Whether remodeling a home, creating a meal or traveling the world, consumers know that life is celebrated on its channels. Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. is where committed, passionate people create some of the best loved and most respected brands in the business. Over 170 million consumers connect with those brands each month through unique, vibrant and engaging programming.
Compensation: Competitive base and bonus commensurate with experience.
Experience: The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3+ years legal experience handling data privacy and cybersecurity issues, including foundational training at a top tier law firm. Both US and international experience is preferred. Experience working in the entertainment and media industry is a plus, as is IAPP certification.
Location: Knoxville, TN or New York City, NY
Relocations: Local New York or Knoxville candidates preferred
Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. is a global media company and the Leader in Lifestyle Media. Its power-house brands – HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel and Great American Country – stimulate personal creativity, spark ingenuity and capture the joy of living richer and fuller lives. Whether remodeling a home, creating a meal or traveling the world, consumers know that life is celebrated on its channels. Scripps is where committed, passionate people create some of the best loved and most respected brands in the business; brands that 170 million consumers connect with each month through unique, vibrant and engaging programming.
Cook with Us. Travel with Us. Make Your Home with Us.
- Affiliation with industry-leading networks and popular brands.
- Cutting edge, interesting work.
The Director will work closely with the Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs to develop and manage the global legal function overseeing data privacy and security with focus on the Company’s bases of operation in the US, Europe, Asia and Latin America.
- Support and assist Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs in advising the Company on the development and maintenance of a global cybersecurity program for all aspects of the business, working closely with other key stakeholders, including the Cybersecurity and Enterprise Risk Management teams;
- Stay abreast of and assess the impact of new data protection laws, regulations and regulatory guidance on the Company’s existing operations, advise and collaborate with stakeholders to make sure that all operations are aligned with law and corporate policies;
- Provide guidance and support to Legal Affairs colleagues negotiating and drafting privacy and data security provisions in a wide variety of legal agreements involving data, such as IT, Digital, HR, Research, Marketing, and Content Distribution;
- Provide legal counsel and assist in providing leadership and strategic direction with regard to development of corporate privacy and data security policies and procedures;
- Manage all aspects of global data protection compliance for U.S. and international corporate systems and programs; and
- Develop and deliver global training on privacy and data security issues.
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to provide well-reasoned, business-based legal counsel;
- Ability to manage complex internal and external stakeholder relationships;
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in carrying out activities;
- Strong people skills, including the ability to communicate effectively through all levels of the organization;
- Ability to integrate internal and external views to create a business-relevant perspective;
- Ability to anticipate resource requirements and modify plans as needed;
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and strong organizational skills;
- Capacity to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members; and
- Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional groups.
Qualifications & Skills
- Law degree from ABA-accredited, top-tier law school and current, valid admission to a U.S. bar required;
- 3+ years of experience focused primarily on data privacy and security law required; 5+ years preferred; and
- IAPP certification preferred but not required.
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strategic thinker with proven problem-solving abilities;
- Must be an excellent lawyer, able to provide fast, well-reasoned, business-based legal counsel; able to take business leaders’ concerns and demands into account in how best to pursue legal strategies;
- Detail-oriented, intelligent, and articulate;
- Ability to multitask and work effectively under pressure; and
- Ability to work effectively with employees at all levels of the Company.
Application Submission Information:
Interested candidates please submit your resume to ScrippsBLA2017@mlaglobal.com.