American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more. We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
Right now we have an exciting opportunity for a lawyer who will have responsibility for EMEA Data Protection within the Global Privacy Legal team, based in London. More specifically, the lawyer will be responsible for helping to support, initiate and drive efforts to provide best-in-class data protection-focused legal advice across the American Express (AXP) enterprise to ensure compliance with applicable EU, Middle East and Africa data protection laws, rules and regulations.
The lawyer will report to the Chief Privacy Counsel within the General Counsel’s Organisation (GCO) here at American Express. This lawyer will interface with GCO colleagues internationally on in-country and cross-border privacy and data protection-related legal issues, as well as work collaboratively to support internal business clients.
Further responsibilities include:
- Serving as the legal “subject matter expert” to AXP in EMEA on a full range of data protection and privacy/information security matters affecting prospects, customers and employees, including legal issues arising from Binding Corporate Rules, EU/US Privacy Shield, EU GDPR implementation, Online Behavioural Advertising and other applicable laws
- Advising on issues around collecting, sharing and accessing personal information, marketing to customers, opt-out choices, online privacy notices, policies and practices
- Providing privacy-related legal advice concerning business transactions, including reviewing contracts with 3rd parties, performing privacy-related legal due diligence and drafting and negotiating applicable privacy-related provisions
- Providing privacy-related legal advice regarding online and social media activities, and emerging technology.
- Reviewing and negotiating data protection and information security terms in vendor agreements, confidentiality agreements, etc.
- Providing legal advice on data incidents as well as internal investigations and making determinations as to whether any notification is required to DPAs
- Monitoring and providing strategic legal advice concerning legislative and regulatory developments in the emerging areas of data protection and information security
- Supporting the global privacy legal team in designing and delivering continuing legal education programs on privacy-related issues
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Law degree (UK or EU) and bar admission
- Strong knowledge of data protection and info security laws, rules and regulations, including EU Directive and national implementation laws, EU GDPR, Cookies Directive, EU cybersecurity strategy, EBA security guidelines, as well as industry leading-practices and standards
- 5-7 years of privacy experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment (in-house experience strongly preferred) with a track record of providing practical business-friendly advice
- Corporate transactional background with experience negotiating and drafting a variety of complex commercial agreements
- Broad familiarity/experience in the following areas: consumer banking/financial service legal and regulatory matters, consumer protection laws, and digital products and services
- Strong and effective communications and client relationship/management skills
- Experience managing outside counsel and junior lawyers and comfort in working as part of virtual teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork and ability to influence through collaboration
- Ability to handle multiple tasks (including those out of one’s comfort zone) and prioritize work in a deadline-intensive environment while continuing to provide highly responsive service
- Willingness and flexibility to take on new responsibilities and challenges as American Express and its businesses continue to evolve.
- Fluency in another European language and CIPP/EU accreditation preferred but not essential
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).