We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. EMBL is an intergovernmental organisation that is granted privileges and immunities. Data protection is regulated in EMBL's own Internal Policy.
The postholder will provide guidance in the application and interpretation of the Internal Policy on General Data Protection and be in charge of the successful implementation of this Policy.
The Data Protection Officer will be appointed by the Director General.
The Data Protection Officer will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Monitor the application of Internal Policy at all EMBL sites
- Advise data controllers on their rights and obligations on request or on his/her own initiative
- Advise data subjects on their rights on request or on his/her own initiative
- Act as the contact point for the Data Protection Committee
- Advise Senior Management on issues and trends concerning data protection
- Produce a yearly report for the Director General
- Report to the Staff Association every six months on the state of data protection in staff-related processing activities as defined in the Internal Policy
- Propose sectoral guidance or standard operating procedures in areas of the Internal Policy requiring further formalisation
- Work and collaborate closely and effectively with internal and external stakeholders
The Data Protection Officer will be bound by secrecy, acts functionally independently and shall neither seek nor accept instructions from anyone. He/she will be answerable to the Director General. The postholder receives administrative supervision by the Director General and the Administrative Director.
The following qualifications and skills are essential:
- Relevant university degree, e.g. in law
- Several years of work experience in data protection and legal compliance
- Expert knowledge of data protection law and practices applicable to international organisations
- Professional experience working in an international context
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Good judgement, with the ability to make considered decisions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to build and maintain good working relationships both internally and externally, up to and including senior management level
- Being ethical with the ability to remain impartial
- Demonstrated familiarity with computer security systems
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organise workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written English skills are essential
- German language skills would be a strong asset
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else do I need to know
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Application Submission Information:
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our website http://s.embl.org/HD01372.