We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
The rapidly growing Cruise legal team is looking for a pragmatic and thoughtful collaborator to be our Privacy & Cybersecurity Counsel. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on the privacy and cybersecurity issues that shape Cruise’s business and the development of its world-changing product, and you will cultivate a strong culture of privacy and accountability. You will report to our Lead Counsel - Product & Commercial and work directly with key members of the business, engineering, security, government affairs and policy, IT, and legal teams on these mission-critical projects.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Conduct privacy-by-design reviews and help formulate innovative solutions to ensure our products, app, and website are market leaders in privacy and cybersecurity features.
- Advise on privacy and cybersecurity law aspects of licensing/procurement, M&A, and other corporate deals.
- Create and share company-wide policies and procedures surrounding privacy and cybersecurity laws, including through effective trainings and other messaging.
- Lead projects to support our compliance and develop our auditing frameworks with respect to all aspects of our privacy and security practices (EU Privacy Shield and GDPR; breach notification requirements; People Operations-related issues).
- Monitor proposed and new privacy laws and regulations, including participating in regulatory development impact assessments, and inform Cruise’s positions on those policies.
- Collaborate closely with legal team counterparts on issues such as data protection, data retention, data security, and data breach rules, as well as in responding to any federal or state regulatory investigations concerning privacy-related matters.
You may be a good fit if:
- Desire to get hands dirty and practice law every day (this is not initially a management position, and will never be a “management only” position).
- Graduate of an ABA-accredited law school and active member of a state bar and in good standing. (California Bar preferred.)
- At least 8 years of practice experience and at least 3 specifically focused on privacy and/or cybersecurity. Bonus: in-house experience, especially if focused on privacy and/or at a tech company.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions.
- Sound judgment and skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and interpersonal communication.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office and GSuite.
- Clear comfort and well-substantiated familiarity with technology (software, automotive technology, sensors, and legal ops tools). Bonus: experience with, and passion, for using tech solutions to safeguard privacy and security.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, dinner, and snacks
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Application Submission Information: