Administrative Decision No. 245/2016 appointing Eduardo Bertoni as temporary General Director of the Argentine Personal Data Protection Authority, the controlling authority of Argentine Personal Data Protection, per Law No. 25,326, was published in the Official Gazette on March 30, 2016.
Pursuant to Administrative Decision No. 245/2016, Eduardo Bertoni’s appointment is effective retroactively as of February 16, 2016.
Eduardo Bertoni (PhD, Buenos Aires University) is a lawyer and holds a Masters in International Policy and Practice from the Elliot School of International Affairs, George Washington University. Previously, he was the Director of the Center for Studies on Freedom of Expression and Access to Information (CELE) at Palermo University School of Law, in Argentina, and served as Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression of the Inter-American Commission of Human Rights at the Organization of American States.
Eduardo Bertoni currently teaches at Buenos Aires University School of Law and New York University School of Law. He has also written several publications on freedom of speech, human rights and the Internet.
He will give a presentation at the panel entitled “Latin American Regulatory Update” during the upcoming IAPP Global Summit that will take place in Washington DC on April 5 and 6, 2016.
It should be noted that the Argentine Personal Data Protection Authority is a governmental body that depends on the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights and has the following main roles and tasks:
- to issue regulations on several aspects of the Argentine Personal Data Protection Law No. 25,326;
- to receive and handle the complaints filed by data subjects;
- to manage and maintain the Registry of Databases;
- to conduct inspections on data controllers and administrative proceedings;
- to apply sanctions for breaching the Personal Data Protection Law No. 25,326 and complementary regulations.
If you want to comment on this post, you need to login.