- Italy's data protection authority, the Garante, announced a 26.5 million euro fine against multinational electric and gas distributor Enel Energia for violations of the EU General Data Protection Regulation. Following an investigation of hundreds of complaints, the Garante found the company was unlawfully processing personal data for telemarketing purposes while violating provisions around accountability and user consent.
- Germany's State Commissioner for Data Protection in Lower Saxony fined retailer Notebooksbilliger.de 10.4 million euros over employee privacy violations related to workplace monitoring without a legal basis.
- Norway's DPA, Datatilsynet, announced it will conduct audits in the private and public sectors in 2022, focusing on key areas within the Personal Data Act. "The purpose of the inspections is to uncover vulnerabilities that may lead to compromise, changes or loss of/on the citizens' personal information," the authority said.
- The Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection issued a fine of SEK 1.9 million against the Uppsala Region for inadequate security measures in its personal data handling. The authority said it received two reports of personal data incidents, one involving sensitive personal data and Social Security numbers sent via email, and the other involving patient information being sent to third countries.
- The Belgian DPA fined NGO EU DisinfoLab and one of its researchers 2,700 euros and 1,200 euros, respectively, for GDPR violations. The fine follows complaints to the Belgian DPA and France's DPA, the Commission nationale de l'informatique et des libertés, over research data collection practices.
- The European Commission has given WhatsApp one month to explain recent changes to its privacy notice and ensure its compliance with EU law, Bloomberg reports. EU Justice Commissioner Didier Reynders said WhatsApp has until the end of February to address concerns over a lack of information given to consumers about the new terms of services.
If you want to comment on this post, you need to login.