Peter Guffin, CIPP/E, CIPP/US
Peter isChair ofthe firm's Intellectual Property and Technology Group and heads the firm's Privacy & Data Security practice. Hecombines extensive experience in the areas of intellectual property,information technology,privacy and data protection, with a practical appreciation of the business and legal imperatives that can determine a client's success.
His particular focus is helping clients in highly regulated industriesnavigate through the increasingly complex convergence of information technology and business, offering practical and strategic advice in the following areas:
- Technology procurement and outsourcing arrangements
- Privacy, information security and data breach notification
- Protection and enforcement of IP rights
- Trademark, patent, copyright and software licensing
- Internet law and e-commerce initiatives
Before joining Pierce Atwood in February 2000, Peter served as Intellectual Property and Technology Counsel in the Legal Division of Unum Group (NYSE: UNM), a Fortune 500 company and the world's leading disability insurer. Early in his career, Peter practiced law with the Wall Street firm Chadbourne & Parke LLP in New York.